After Fall Break, First Grade Champions take home “Baggie Books” from our First Grade library. The book belongs to the school. Please send it back to school on each day so that your child can receive a NEW book as they are ready! Some students will not be ready for a new book each day.
When reading with your child, encourage your child to try to read some words on his/her own and use the pictures to help them tell the story. (“Reading the pictures” is a great way for young readers to begin to access text and it is encouraged in first grade.) For shorter books, have your child read the book at least two times.
If your child is struggling with a word, here are some tips:
- Ask them to “get their mouth ready” to say the first sound in the word.
- Ask them, “what would make sense?”
- Go back and re-read with your help. Then have them try it again independently.
- Encourage your student to use the Strategy Bookmark to help them remember their reading strategies.
Here is a short list of “Do Nots” for reading with your child:
- Do NOT show impatience. If either of you is feeling frustrated, put the book away.
- Do NOT expect your child to read EVERY word.
- Do NOT scold or fuss at your child. This is not supposed to be a stressful experience for either of you. I want reading with your child to be a rewarding experience! We want our kids to LOVE reading outside of school, not dread it!
The Baggie Book is your child’s homework and responsibility. They will last us all year long. It is your child’s responsibility to keep the book in great condition! Please keep the Baggie Book in your child’s book bag. It can travel to and from school each day. Book Bags are due back daily. If your child does not bring their book back- they will not receive a new book.
Thank you for your support! I hope you LOVE the Baggie Books! If you have any concerns or questions, please let us know!